Three Sisters Springs
This last unspoiled and undeveloped habitat in Kings Bay, the headwaters of the Crystal River, is critical for protection of the West Indian Manatee. The springs in the bay, with their constant 72 degree Fahrenheit water, provide essential warm water refuge for the manatees that congregate there in the winter months.
Known for: Swimming, snorkeling, boating, fishing, manatee and other wildlife viewing, picnic area
Three Sisters Springs Experiences & Suggestions (12)
Set 1 of 6
Feb 11, 2019
- There's several things that make experiencing another trip around the sun happy and more palatable. For myself, one of those things is being underwater in the manatee's world. It has become a tradition for me to express my appreciation to the manatees.
Jan 29, 2019
- This is the time of year when Floridians, snowbirds, and visitors alike head to the warmer waters of springs and electric plants and even nuclear plant complexes to watch our favorite manatees.
Set 2 of 6
Jan 13, 2019
- Who needs Disney World when you can see and swim with wild manatees in their natural habitat? From November through February, manatees come to Florida by the thousands seeking the warmer water of Florida's natural springs.
Dec 28, 2017
- There are still several very attainable bucket list items like swimming with manatees in the Florida springs that I hadn't tackled until last week.
Set 3 of 6
Nov 16, 2016
- Without action from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, this warm, welcome respite for manatees could be threatened by tourism
Nov 3, 2016
- The Florida DEP has awarded more than $7.5M in grants for water-quality enhancement projects in Citrus County to protect the health of Kings Bay and Crystal River's unique spring-fed systems comprised of more than 70 freshwater springs throughout a 600-acre bay.
Set 4 of 6
May 28, 2016
- Florida has more of them than any other place in the world'more than Yellowstone, more even than New Zealand's famed Rotorua. Each one is a window into where our drinking water comes from.
May 16, 2016
- Florida has more than 700 natural freshwater springs, more than anywhere else on earth, with water so pristine that it is not uncommon to spot exotic fish and manatee floating nearby.
Set 5 of 6
Mar 22, 2016
- While last visiting my parents, I found myself heading to Crystal River, Florida. We took a tour to the Three Sisters Springs ' a refuge for West Indian Manatees in the winter. The manatees (~500 last winter) come to the springs because of their constant 72 degree Fahrenheit temperature.
Feb 29, 2016
- The manatees are the top attraction of Crystal River. Every winter, hundreds of West Indian manatees swim to Three Sisters Spring waters to enjoy a constant 22C temperature and escape the cold.
Set 6 of 6
Feb 18, 2016
- We went to Three Sisters Springs to see the manatees. We were told one was getting rescued so were excited at our timing, however, by the time we got there they were done with the rescue.
Feb 18, 2016
- CITRUS COUNTY - Visitors to Three Sisters Springs in Crystal River Monday afternoon got to witness a manatee rescue. The sea cow was suffering from hypothermia. Ivan Vicente, with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, said the manatee was also very underweight.
Three Sisters Springs Photography
Three Sisters Springs Videos (3)